Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Alisa Turner: A Voice As Sweet As Syrup


Pancakes and musicians. You would think that they are two totally different entities, but think about it. Remember how excited you used to get when your mom or dad fixed you pancakes as a kid? Doesn't your favorite singer also give you that same kind of feeling? Pancakes come is all types of flavors and with all types of toppings. Singers are the same way. They have different styles and ranges. That brings us to Alisa Turner. This young lady has taken an ordinary food such as pancakes and created an association with it that will satisfy your appetite.



Alisa became a very skillful songwriter at a very early age as a way to deal with pain. "I was hurting alot inside and nothing seemed to help me get it out. I think around 11 or 12 , I started writing as an outlet. It was the only way that I could get out what was going on inside of me. We moved alot when I was young and I remember not feeling good. So, to keep myself stimulated, I would write and use my dreams as an outlet."



She has been through alot of pain in her life. Her mother was very sick when she was a small child and there was some question as to whether or not she was going to make it. Then, she lost her father, who was a pastor for 25 years. Her father is actually the catalyst for her association with pancakes. "Dad use to make pancakes for us on Saturday mornings growing up. It's a special memory that I have held onto. We were very close and it was so hard losing him. I sometimes think that my songwriting came out of my love for God and he gave it to me as a tool to help cope with all this pain."



Today's music industry seems to have alot of strong female persona's and it is hard to find your niche as an artist. It seems that there are always the comparisons to Sara McLachlan or Fiona Apple for an artist like Alisa because of the similarities in songwriting. She does site those women as being influential to her, but her main source is Karen Carpenter, who we know had her own share of suffering throughout her career. Another odd, yet understandable favorite of hers is My Chemical Romance's "The Black Parade" cd. "I wasn't so much into their earlier stuff, but this whole cd just fits together so perfectly and tells such an amazing story. Each song fits together so well with the others."



Alisa books her shows and loves playing live. "The labels want to see you doing it all yourself. Every aspect from advertising to booking to sales. It shows your commitment. House shows are very hard and demanding on me. I try to make as many one on one commitments as I can. The more dedicated you are, the more respect you will gain." Alisa does begin her house shows with a sit down pancake dinner. In all my years and as many concerts that I have been to, this is a first.



My last question for Alisa was if she was stranded on a desert island with only one store bought cd , what would it be? "Oh, without a doubt, the Carpenters Christmas album. I listen to it all the time. I just love Christmas all year long!"


In this industry where female artists are so heavily marketing based on heavy makeup and cleavage, Alisa is truly an inspiring artist with so much to tell. Her childhood may have been filled with enough heartache for an entire city block, but she has used it to tell some of the most touching stories that I have heard in years. Her shows are very intimate and the connection that is made is one that will never be forgotten. Please take the time to get to know this amazing young lady at www.myspace.com/alisaturner. You and your heart will not be disappointed.

No comments: