Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Lucy Walsh Soars Like An Eagle


Many kids want to follow in their parents footsteps, especially if they were successful. You have second generation actors and actresses, sports figures and musicians. Some even try to ride the coat tails of their famous parents expecting the doors to be easier to open for them. This is not true for young upstart Lucy Walsh.

You see, Lucy is the daughter of the legendary Joe Walsh of the Eagles. Now, Lucy and her dad had an agreement from early on. Joe told his little girl that if she wanted to pursue music, that he was not going to help her. She had to do it on her own. That's exactly what this strong willed young lady wanted to do. "I am very proud of my dad and I don't want to shun him away or the fact that he is my dad. At the same time, I don't expect him to help me or have people do favors for me because I'm his little girl. I'm not going to change my last name or anything to avoid it because it all comes down to talent. Without the talent to back it up, you're not crap," said Lucy.

Lucy definitely has a style all her own but you can see elements of her influences mixed all throughout her personality and music. "I have loved Cyndi Lauper from an early age and I do get alot of comparisons to her. Musically, I love Mozart, he is my ultimate idol. I also love Nickel Creek, the Beatles and of course the Eagles. I think that the Eagles gave me my great sense of harmonies."

Lucy got a great deal of exposure by being a part of MTVs Rock The Cradle in April of 2008. It was a show where the off springs of famous musicians compete to win the top honors. I asked her about that experience. "It was actually a very painful experience. It was very scary to go on live TV, there was alot of stress. I mean, you get to perform and I love doing that but what the people at home do not see is all the people running around and the crew and the cameras. The music part was fun, but being picked apart by the judges just to create drama, that was painful."

Even though it was painful, it was a good experience. What else has Lucy been doing since the show aired? "Well, I took most of 2008 to focus on writing. I want it to be right because the music is the most important thing. I have over 100 songs down on paper. I will be going to Nashville and hopefully the cd will be out before the end of the year."

So, how does Lucy approach songwriting? "I think it was Billy Joel who once said that you have to go to the piano each and every day, no matter what comes out. You have to do it. I write in so many ways. I keep a journal next to my bed so that if I wake up and think of something that came to me in my dreams , then I can just jot it down real quick. I just recorded a song with Rooney that came to me in a dream."

Lucy has several tracks posted on her MySpace page. She seems to be at her element sitting behind the piano singing. Songs such as the amazing ballad "Lullaby" and another ballad called "I Miss You" showcase the passion in her voice that comes through in her music.

Lucy is very proud of her heritage but is dead set on proving everyone that she can do this on her own. She is right, the name Walsh can only get her so far. She most certainly has a voice that is very strong and pure. Her songwriting skills have already penned several tracks that show she has got a gift for telling a three and a half minute story. She is a true talent that hopefully will not get lost in the onslaught of today's "here today gone today" mentality of music. This young woman has got what it takes to be entertaining us for "The Long Run."

No comments: