Monday, March 23, 2009

Jennifer Benson: Rocking God's Message


Every now and then you hear a singer whose voice stops you in your tracks. I was searching through some bands and singers not too long ago on MySpace when I heard a female singer with an amazing voice. I did a little research and found out the singer's name was Jennifer Benson and this lady can really rock. I actually got to talk to Jennifer about her venture into music.

"I guess I was 15 when I turned to Christ and made my decision to follow him. I knew that I wanted to be a Christian artist but I had a few obstacles to overcome. I got married and then divorced, I made alot of wrong decisions. I had no support with my career. I had a baby and remarried and he's very supportive of my career. I feel like I am on the right track again," said Jennifer.

Jennifer's music draws upon her close relationship with God. Now, I know that some people may have a preconceived notion about contemporary christian music. I wish that people could just appreciate music for what it is: artistic expression. Jennifer's music is very positive and encouraging and I think that most people would be amazed at her style. You can definitely hear her influences on these songs. " My influences do vary from Pat Benatar to Superchick, the Barlow Girls and Pink and Avril Lavigne. My band Pierced and I have been together for about a year now. I have had trouble finding musicians that will stay committed, but God's calling for me to do this. I am focusing on my writing and moving on."

Jennifer seems to be focusing on delivering God's message through her music and she is determined to get this music train back on the right track. "I am focusing on getting ten good songs ready and putting out a full CD. I toured some last summer but the band fell apart and I want to make sure I have the right people on board. I will be auditioning for an A&R rep in May as a solo artist. I hope to get a record deal out of that and then start touring nationally. I want to share God's love through my music."

My interview concluded with my what CD would you like to have with you if you were stranded on a desert island? " Wow, that is a tough one. It seems like every period of my life is different. Right now I would have to go with Krystal Meyers CD "Make Some Noise", it's a great CD."

My talk with Jennifer really did make me think twice about how alot of people think contemporary christian music is not for them. I think too many people who are stuck in that mindset are really missing out on some talented artists like Jennifer. She has an amazing voice that is full of raw power and emotion. Her music is a great mixture of rock and pop and it definitely has God's message in it. Just listen to songs like "Oxygen" and "Run To Me" and you can tell that her music has a rock/alternative edge that sounds right at home with most Top 40 formats. It's very positive and encouraging and we all need a message like that in these times that we are going through right now. Jennifer is a very talented artist who deserves to be heard in this industry of manufactured stars.

If you are looking for some great music with a positive message, go check out Jennifer at www.myspace.com/jenniferbenson4u. You can also visit her official website at www.jenniferbenson.net. Her CD can be purchased at CD Baby and on i-Tunes. I think you will be pleasantly surprised with the end results.

No comments: