Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Talking Music With John Corabi



John Corabi is one of those guys that everyone has heard of, yet nobody knows who he is. Well, don’t take that quite literally! John had been in numerous bands and projects, such as The Angora and The Scream, before landing his biggest mainstream gig as lead singer in Motley Crue. His stint with the Crue back in 1994 is still a controversial subject amongst the ranks of Crue fans.

John went on to form Union with Bruce Kulick, former KISS guitarist and also be a part of ESP: The Eric Singer Project which also included Kulick. John has been busy this year touring with Cinderella and performing a one-man acoustic show. This is to coincide with the recording of and eventual release of his first acoustic album. I had the chance to catch John’s acoustic set in Charlotte, NC and I got the opportunity to speak with him backstage afterwards about all things Corabi.

Hey John, it’s great to see you man. That was one amazing set that you just performed out there. You are one of those rare exceptions where a singer’s voice is actually better live than on the album. It has that rough edge to it, but is full of raw emotion. A very interesting set list too.

Thank you so much, I really appreciate that. Yeah, the set list is ever changing. I have so much that I can choose from. I want to throw in a Scream song and something from Union and of course the Crue. I also try to do a song or two from my upcoming acoustic album as well and some covers of songs I love.

Can you tell us more about the acoustic album that you’re working on?

Definitely! I am having a blast putting it together. It’s going to include acoustic versions of my old stuff and there will be about 5 or 6 new songs on there too. I was hoping to have it to sell on the tour, but it may not happen. I am doing this one by myself including releasing it because I have no label right now. The industry is going through such a crazy period right now that this seemed the best way of doing it.

What do you have lined up after the acoustic album comes out?

After I get the acoustic album finished in Nashville, I am going to work on putting out a regular, electric album with the band I am using. I have to work on that between my gigs this summer and hopefully have it out early next year.

I had the opportunity to interview Bruce Kulick at his BK3 release party at the KISS Coffeehouse. We talked about your collaboration on “No Friend of Mine” and the possibility of a full scale Union reunion.

I would love for us to get together and do something. It’s just tough to get all four of us free at the same time. I’m doing mine thing right now and Bruce is busy with Grand Funk Railroad. Jaime and Brent are busy guys too, but I am open to it.

Union put out some amazing music. Do you think the timing was wrong because of what was going on in the industry?

Maybe so because Union seems to have taken on a life all its own. I have had so many people come up to me and tell me how much they loved us. It seems to have grown over the years, almost like becoming a cult favorite. Maybe the market just wasn’t right for what we brought to it.

Almost like the album that you recorded with the Crue! There seems to be a line drawn in the sand when it comes to that album. You have one side saying it was the worst album that they ever recorded, yet the other side stands by it as their best album ever. Personally, I love it and think it’s some of the best material that they ever recorded and definitely some of the best songwriting.

Thanks man! It’s good to hear that from the fans because it seems as if Nikki just wants to forget that album even happened. It’s like they are sweeping it under the rug like there’s this big cover up. They don’t even include it on some of the greatest hits compilations that they put out.

I have to ask you John; you looked like you were having a blast up on that stage tonight. There you were with just the mic, your barstool and your acoustic guitar. You are so vulnerable up there in that type of situation. A few songs into your set and you had the crowd eating out of the palm of your hand. Was it as much fun for you as it appeared to us in the crowd?

Oh hell yeah! That’s what I love, that’s what I live for. I don’t think I could do a normal 9 to 5 job!

I think I can speak on behalf of all of the fans and tell you that we’re all glad that you don’t work 9 to 5.

No comments: